By SHAUN SMITH
Staff Writer 9-29-09
In 2004, she bought a home in Egg Harbor Township. Little did she know that her house would slowly poison her.
She started having symptoms about a year after moving in.
Her motor skills, memory and respiratory system began to deteriorate.
An indoor air quality test in 2006 revealed extremely high counts of different strains of mycotoxins, or mold, her mother said.
Among those found were the toxic black mold stachybotrys, aspergillus, penicillium and trichothecene.
They traveled to New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware and Connecticut trying to find a cure, to no avail. It wasn’t until August when they found Dr. Andrew Campbell, a Texas immune and toxic disorders specialist, that they solved the mystery.
Campbell diagnosed mycotoxicosis and prescribed six to eight months of treatment with Cancidas, a drug that is delivered intravenously. A port will be implanted in Parker’s arm and one hour of treatment will be administered by a home health nurse.
It will cost $1,000 a week.
The funding for treatment must be secured before she can begin because the medication must be meted out in full.
The Cancidas is designed to flush out the toxins in the body, and in time, Parker may regain her motor skills and the memory damage that Campbell described as a “brain fog.”
With treatment, Parker is hoping her immune system will recover. She said that she will always have strong allergies, but they won’t hinder her everyday life.
She said she will need to be tested regularly for aspergillus in her lungs, which could lead to cancer. However, her insurance claim for the testing has just been denied for the third time.
Having lived with the condition for more than four years, Parker is excited at the prospect of getting her life back to normal.
Finally having a diagnosis has brought some relief.
Full Story – shorenewstoday.com
Note – Information on Riverstone Residential knowingly exposing tenants to extreme amounts of mold toxins at Toxic Mold Infested Jefferson Lakes Apartments in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. katy