SAN ANTONIO – A leaky roof and moldy carpet are just some of the complaints tenants at North Side apartment complex say have gone unheard.
One resident said if nothing is done at the Alamo Apartments on Sahara, people’s health may be at risk.
News 4 WOAI found out the complex has had some problems in the past with San Antonio’s Code Compliance Department.
Most of the residents at Alamo Apartment residents were too afraid to speak with News 4 WOAI on camera, saying they didn’t want to start any trouble. But off camera they talked about living with holes in their walls, moldy carpet, shower leaks, and unsafe porches. They said they have taken their complaints to management. But the problems have never been resolved.
However, one fed up resident who says he wants to help is neighbors was ready to speak out about the issue.
“It just caved in,” Joshua Garcia said.
With days after big rains hit San Antonio, Garcia’s ceiling gave way. That was more than a week ago.
“I saw a big piece of chunk fall on the floor,” Garcia told News 4 WOAI. “I realized more of my roof was coming apart.”
Despite Garcia’s pleas for help, the complex’s maintenance workers have done little.
“I’m concerned about mold,” explained Garcia. “It’s also getting on my carpet. I’m concerned about getting sick.”
News 4 WOAI went to the Alamo Apartments’ assistant manager to discuss Garcia’s problems. She claimed his apartment was the only unit having problems. But News 4 WOAI’s crew saw contractors examining other buildings too.
News 4 WOAI ran a check on Alamo Apartments and found out the complex has had nearly 20 violations since 2003. Half of the violations have been for building problems like Joshua Garcia’s.
“I don’t want to be here and the whole thing collapse,” Garcia added.
Garcia said he can no longer live in his apartment and is getting out of his lease.
Tenants have rights, including:
the right to peace and quiet
the right to demand repairs to your apartment if it affects your health
the right to security (Such as dead-bolts for your door or window latches)
If you have a problem with your apartment, report it to management in writing and keep copies of the your complaint reports.
CLICK HERE to find out more about renters rights and how to file complaints
Political Action Committee – NAA – files Amicus Brief in mold case (two infant deaths in mold filled apt – Wasatch Prop Mgmt) citing US Chamber/ACOEM ‘litigation defense report’ to disclaim health effects of indoor mold & limit financial risk for industry
“Changes in construction methods have caused US buildings to become perfect petri dishes for mold and bacteria to flourish when water is added. Instead of warning the public and teaching physicians that the buildings were causing illness; in 2003 the US Chamber of Commerce Institute for Legal Reform, a think-tank, and a workers comp physician trade organization mass marketed an unscientific nonsequitor to the courts to disclaim the adverse health effects to stave off liability for financial stakeholders of moldy buildings. Although publicly exposed many times over the years, the deceit lingers in US courts to this very day.” Sharon Noonan Kramer
Information on Riverstone Residential knowingly exposing tenants to extreme amounts of mold toxins at Toxic Mold Infested Jefferson Lakes Apartments in Baton Rouge, Louisiana